And why?

Maintaining contact with the people I love (or maybe just like) will be difficult around the world. Here, if you desire, you will find my hardships and triumphs documented at my discretion for you all to see. I hope to have a few laughs, less tears and some mighty fine stories by the time I am done.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

No one even asked to see my ID!

Sitting around the picnic table with the family in the garden, with candles lit, full bellies, and my favorite Bolognese cake topped with 21 candles, I knew that it really was a Happy Birthday. Even being away from so many family and friends, feeling at home here in Bologna made it beautiful and not at all sad. Besides the love, and cards and food and all that good stuff, it was a good day for so many reasons. The sky was clear and the air was that perfect temperature where you could feel the warmth of the sun without sweating. Not like I even felt the outside until almost noon, after waking up late and a plate of french toast. However, some of the best news of the day came from my trek over to the Geology department to meet with one of my assistant professors. With an idea in my head about starting a research project with some field work during our fieldtrip, I asked him about the possibilites. Just the fact that he was so receptive to the idea made me feel so much more comfortable. Along with a specific idea on how to make it work, he started me off with some material to look into, papers and such. The other assistant professor, as I was making copies, came in to talk to the first guy. When I returned to the office, he asked me about when I was leaving Italy. He mentioned that if I had the time, perhaps I could spend a week on Stromboli working at a research station that monitors the actions of the vulcano. This was something he had mentioned in class before, but I had assumed it was only for the Italian students and that the dates where for July. Yet as we were talking, he really seemed excited and optimistic for me to be able to make this work. In addition to being able to live on a vulcano and do great vulcanology stuff for a week, I would be able to expand my fieldwork to as much as I could fit in during that time, and not just a quick day with the class. Please excuse my nerdness, but having the opportunity to maybe actually get somewhere with a project is too exciting. What's more than that, is that it is on a vulcano. 'Nuff said. With that meeting behind me, and the seal of approval that my new trekking boots are vulcano-worthy, there was no way I could call it a bad day. Add to that a gelato, some good friends and a long night of dancing I would call it a winner (even if the kids call me old).

No comments:

Post a Comment