And why?

Maintaining contact with the people I love (or maybe just like) will be difficult around the world. Here, if you desire, you will find my hardships and triumphs documented at my discretion for you all to see. I hope to have a few laughs, less tears and some mighty fine stories by the time I am done.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lemons grow in the Alps too

Today is an island of pause to recollect my thoughts, delete emails and check facebook. Tomorrow and the rest of the week is still unknown, another project for today. Yesterday and the day before was an adventure and my mind is still reeling. Sometimes I have reflections on where I am and the situation that I find myself in. Walking through a town, Sardagna, away from a chapel shadowed by the Alps I felt this way. How did I end up here? I had just looked over a gravestone for the Battisti family and its members Giusseppe, Giusseppina, Giudina and Giusseppe. It was tightly packed in a yard that was colorful with other gravestones like it. It all was just so random and a place I never could have imagined being. Before that, we were on the side of the road outside of Cadine with nowere to go and nothing to do but to wait for a bus. We certainly are not ordinary tourists, they come in the late spring and summer, but we were witnessing what life is actually like for a population of people in the Alps. Also, there was so sweet geology. Next to the road was an excelent rock face that showed the middle of this hill we were walking through and I could see the folding just as if it had come out of my structure book. Oh, if only I had had my rock hammer.....
The day before Trento, we were coursing the west side of Lake Garda. Bus schedules are a beast to navigate, but I was thankful for our unexpected layover in a town called Gargnano. Best part - While taking a picture of a picturesque little waterfall neighboring an old stone structure, the man there called us up. We walked up the cobble stairs and into the open doors of his limonaia. You would not believe the color and fragrance that 20 housed lemon trees heavy with lemons could produce. Fabio gave us a quick tour and lemons each.
Traveling is best for the little things. The closed doors that open with surprise. The piles of snow that collect in a piazza next to medieval walls. Food, when you don't know what it is. Buses with a great view.



http://www.bcsp.unibo.it/events/events_%27pasta%20evening%27.htm

5 comments:

  1. In keeping with tradition, you should keep the lemon around until you move out. And then only throw it away at the very last second. Your apple would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just seeing if this comment works...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Also the video is up on Youtube and is the coolest!

    Here is the channel link
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jwaldsm2
    It's so much easier than to search through them! But it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete