And why?

Maintaining contact with the people I love (or maybe just like) will be difficult around the world. Here, if you desire, you will find my hardships and triumphs documented at my discretion for you all to see. I hope to have a few laughs, less tears and some mighty fine stories by the time I am done.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fondu lunch

I am so amazed that Paola doesn't like meat! Bologna is such a meat-centric city, that is seems to be deep into the culture to have meat all the time. Lunch today was kinda like that. Her father and brother came over for lunch and it was probably the most exciting lunch I can remember. Everything was centered around two pots of hot oil and two plates brimming with meat; beef, chicken, sausage (salsicce?), mutton. There was bread, a bottle of wine, and chunks of cheese, all swarmed by a bustling, chatty family. What really cracks me up is the presence of ketchup at many meals. The youngest daughter loves the stuff, and saking her food in it. She must have a bit of American in her! It was quite fun to contribute to the swarm as best I could, but it was quite difficult for me to keep up with the conversation when it was coming from so many different directions. Once the chaos simmered down and the uncle didn't keep offering me so many pieces of oil-soaked goodness, the conversation became more manageable. Apparently this is the side of the family that runs the pasteiceria I mentioned before. It is like being in the presence of a Bolognese icon. We chatted about fondue and how in the US it is mostly chocolate and fruit at pricey coffee shops, risotto, Rockford and how big it is. I got to show them all Google earth of Rockford and Chicago and all the stomping grounds in Illinois. It was quite a good time and they really liked the pictures I had of the cows and dogs as well. The kids would really like one, but Paola doesn't...similar to any argument I had ever heard before. Mothers tend to be the sacrificial dog caretaker once the kids become too tired to let the dog out early in the morning....same routine. Besides all that fun, I had to write a 600 word essay for class. It really took forever and I am happy it is over. Frankly, if my grammar is awful, I don't care. It is done, and I wrote it in Italian. That should be good enough! Ci vediamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment