And why?

Maintaining contact with the people I love (or maybe just like) will be difficult around the world. Here, if you desire, you will find my hardships and triumphs documented at my discretion for you all to see. I hope to have a few laughs, less tears and some mighty fine stories by the time I am done.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Unpacked and a full belly

So happy I was to get out of that hotel, and also nervous to ring the doorbell to my new family. Paola had such a welcoming smile on her face when she opened the door, that I couldn't be concerned after that moment. It was a day of struggling over phrases and a few blank stares, but it was really the best day I have had since I arrived. My room is wonderfully comfortable with my stuff finally in a resting place for a while. I developed a little shrine of pictures and cards over my dresser that really is the best. I am so happy I brought them, it really adds to the ambiance of natural light and pigeons cooeing in my windows. Strangely, I am not as well adjusted to the sounds of pigeons as I should be :)

Paola is very modest about how well she cooks, but she really shouldn't be. She asked if I wanted orange juice. A few minutes later, she presents to me a glass of the heartiest, fleshiest, ripest flavored orange juice I think I have ever had. No big, she just made it from oranges. Minutemaid could hire her. Later, was my first introduction to meal time. We (she) made fresh gnocchi for lunch (or il primo piatto) of lunch. We also had turkey and, get this, horse. They were all surprised to hear that it was illegal to slaughter horses back home. I can't say it is my favorite, but apparently it is full of iron, and I know mom will be happy to hear that.

After a bit of time to work on homework, they invited me down to tea. I had brought a gift when I arrived from the oldest pasticceria in Bologna. My group toured around it the day before, so I figured it could find me an appropriate gift. They suggested some fruitcake-type thing (but more chocolatey and delicious). Anyway, it was at the table for tea, and Paola told me how that pasticceria was run by her family. I was pretty impressed. I guess Boogna isn't that big, but that is still a pretty awesome coincidence.

The kids asked me to play Risiko, which prompted my only desire to have ever played Risk before that moment. If I had ever played before, it wouldn't have been such a mess of italian instructions coming from the mouths of kids who talk to fast and a father who was trying to keep it all together. Eventually I understood the instructions, but apparently now welll enough to keep the 8 year old girl from dominating the world, and certainly my (armate).

It was a draining day, but it left me with such optimism for the next few months. I really hope that it all works out and that I can stay here. They are such a nice family and I am happy they are letting me join them for just a while. Hopefully, by the end, I will be able contribute more than a blank stare and also a few good'ol American meals. For all my loved ones back at home, I will do my best to learn Paola's ways of the kitchen as well, you will love it if I can!

1 comment: